Wednesday 13 February 2013

Favourite Device for playing Games

There are many different devices for playing games; Consoles, computers, handheld consoles and smartphones are the big players in the field. I have owned a few of each of these and have played games on many. My history of consoles dates back to the Playstation 1, whilst also playing on a SNES at a friend's house as a child, for PCs, I have always had one in the house and am now currently using a laptop for day-to-day use and gaming with friends while at uni. My earliest memories of games is that of the handheld nature with the original Game Boy, handheld always has a place in the gaming industry, as you can carry your game with you and does not cost a great deal. My least experienced field is the mobile phone games, despite spending many hours on various phones playing Doodle Jump and various other apps, most of these have been on the ever popular iPhone, so I lack experience with other mobile phones.

So, for my lack of experience and game time on a phone, I am going to rule that one out as not MY favourite device for playing games.

I have owned many handheld games consoles in my life, much of which still work, proving the quality of the hardware, and have spent many hours staring at the tiny screens, but with a handheld device you are not as immersed in the gaming experience. Even though the devices are amazing in their own way and have come a long way. They do not compare to PC and console gaming.

Based on my previous post I am going to skip ahead and decide which of the many device in the remaining field...

I will take into account the consoles I loved both past and present, mainly looking at N64, Nintendo Gamecube, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii.

Firstly I am going to rule out Nintendo Wii, despite it being a great console, it is the one that is collecting a vast amount of dust at the moment, the novelty wears off and is difficult to play a serious game or one by yourself on the Wii.
Secondly, Gamecube, great console, great games but two come to mind, Mario Kart double dash and Super Smash Bros Melee. These two are great games but that doesn't make it my favourite console by a long mile.
Lets speed this up, i'm going to rule out PlayStation 3 for my lack of good gaming experiences compared to other consoles the N64 for only having a select few good games, 007 Goldeneye, Super Smash bros and Pokémon Stadium.

So we have Xbox 360 and Playstation 2. This choice for me is relatively easy, both these consoles you can have a great time with due to great game releases and a great console.
But I am going to pick Playstation 2, solely for the amount of good memories I had growing up playing on this console. Favourite game on this console was Time Splitters 2/Future Perfect (even getting insomniac award for 23 hours spent playing non stop) and Star Wars Battlefront 1/2
There were many great and ground breaking releases for the Playstation 2, which is why it is my favourite console for playing games.

Frozen Fishy out.

No comments:

Post a Comment